Visit our Kangaroos!
Our Kangaroo Sanctuary is a place to celebrate the beauty of the Red Kangaroo – an Australian icon. On our guided sunset tour you will experience a leisurely walk through our Sanctuary’s 188 acre wildlife reserve where you might meet the kangaroo characters from Kangaroo Dundee (BBC/Nat Geo Series) and many others. Our Sanctuary is outside of Alice Springs | Mparntwe.
Our kangaroos come first, and because kangaroos sleep during the day we don’t disturb them. This is why our guided tours are in the late afternoon…just when our kangaroos are starting to wake from their day-time sleep.
The Sanctuary can only be visited on a pre-booked guided sunset tour. We have public tours Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. And private tours are Monday and Tuesday. See below for more information, Tours are open a few months in advance – please check our booking site for available tours – tours are currently open to July 2024. We are closed for tours April, May, December and January. Our tour is about 2.5-3 hours.
Public Tours: Adult – $105 Child – $95 7-17 years. Tours not available for child under 7 (unless booking a private tour). If booking on the day of the public tour please call us on 08 8965 0038
Book a private sunset tour to have the Sanctuary to yourself – for your tour group, school trip, honeymoon, anniversary, family, friends, or just because you love kangaroos. Private tours are $2,100 with bus transfers or $1,700 with your own transport. To book a private sunset tour, please send your preferred date/s to email@example.com
Information about our tour:
* Tours are not available for kids under 7 (unless booking a private sunset tour)
* We are fully booked April and May 2024 with non-tour commitments. We don’t have public or private tours during this time.
* Wear closed shoes and a hat, and bring your water bottle
* There are no self-drives to the Sanctuary on public tours. Please see below for our bus transfer pick-up points in Alice Springs.
* Kangaroos scare easily, so we ask that visitors please keep noise to a minimum e.g. no jumping, clapping, shouting, or going off the path.
* Equipment that can’t be taken on the tour includes wheelchairs, large photo and video equipment, food, anything noisy, etc because it scares the kangaroos away.
* Cancellations must be made by email. Cancellations: for general tours – over 7 days incur $25 fee per person and those 7 days and under are not refundable. For private tours – over 30 business days before departure date 80% refund; 14-30 business days before departure date 50% refund, 1-14 business days before departure date nil refund.
* Our tours are rarely cancelled, but heavy rains and storms for example may mean we need to cancel a tour.
* Our tours are February to November each year. We are closed December and January.
Pick-up locations – Our transfers bus has pick-up points at the following locations. Select your most convenient pick-up point when you make your booking. Locations are: Stay at Alice Springs Hotel, Quest Apartments, Alice Lodge Backpackers, Double Tree Hilton, Crowne Plaza, Convention Centre carpark, Discovery Parks
Pick-up times – please be waiting outside at the front of your pick-up location at the start of the pick-up time.
|5.15 - 5.45pm
|4.30 - 5.00pm
|4.15 - 4.45pm
|4.00 - 4.30pm
|4.00 - 4.30pm
|4.15 - 4.45pm
|4.45 - 5.15pm
|5 - 5.30pm
#1 of 70 Things to do in Alice Springs!
On TripAdvisor, our Sunset Tour has been the No.1 Thing To Do in Alice Springs for over 6 years! Some of our lovely visitors have described the tour as a “humbling experience” and many have said it has been the highlight of their trip to Alice Springs and Australia.
Travelers’ Choice Award 2020 & Certificate of Excellence winners – 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2019! TripAdvisor gives a Certificate of Excellence to attractions that consistently earn great reviews from visitors. The Kangaroo Sanctuary is proud to be a consistent winner thanks to the great reviews and support from visitors who tell everyone about their experience on TripAdvisor. Read some of their reviews.
“The #1 Experience I had in Australia”
Our tour group was honored to have had the opportunity to meet Brolga and to see the work he and others have done to save kangaroos. We needed fly nets until the sun went down, but no one seemed to mind. As others have mentioned, Brolga is simply one of the most interesting people we have ever met
“A life enhancing experience”
Our 4th year of visiting this wonderful place and it was like coming home to be back at the beautiful Kangaroo Sanctuary. Strolling through the peace of the bush as the sun sank in the evening sky it was so great to be able to meet up with kangaroos that we’d first encountered when they were just little orphans cuddled in pillow cases now grown into healthy, happy adults thanks to the care given to them by Brolga and his fellow carers. And it’s a very special feeling to be out amongst these beautiful creatures as darkness begins to fall – we were also lucky enough to witness the incredible sight of a huge full moon slowly rising above the trees. A Sunset Tour here is an experience not to be missed if you go to Alice Springs. I’m already hopefully looking forward to returning next year to catch up with Brolga’s wonderful ‘mob’ and see how his current project, The Kangaroo Hospital, is progressing!
“ Highlight of our Australian stay”
We won’t forget that evening in the Kangaroo sanctuary with Brolga sharing his passion with us. Our girls loved holding in their arms the baby kangaroos while walking around the sanctuary. An unforgettable experience not to be missed!
“Healing experience – Awesome!”
This is not a regular, commercial tour. This is an invitation into the life of a man who is deeply passionate about his cause. The tour is kept to a small size and the approach of the kangaroos is close and personal. Getting the chance to carry a baby kangaroo in the arms is priceless. Listening to Brolga and learning more about these animals is a moving experience. So worth it!