Visit our Kangaroos!
The Kangaroo Sanctuary is a place to celebrate the beauty of the Red Kangaroo – an Australian icon. On our guided sunset tour you will experience a leisurely walk through our Sanctuary’s 188 acre wildlife reserve where you might meet the kangaroo characters from Kangaroo Dundee (BBC/Nat Geo Series) and many others.
Our Sanctuary is located just outside Alice Springs (right in the centre of Australia) and is home to Brolga and Tahnee’s kangaroo family.
Our kangaroos come first, and because kangaroos sleep during the day we don’t disturb them. This is why our guided tours are in the late afternoon…just when our kangaroos are starting to wake from their day-time sleep.
The Sanctuary can only be visited on a pre-booked tour. We are open Tuesday to Friday and our tour is about 2.5-3 hours. Bus transfers to and from the Sanctuary are provided. Select the closest pick-up point to your accommodation. We recommend booking in advance because the tours sell out fast! Adult – $85 Child – $45 (3-17 years)
BOOK BELOW or contact us if booking on the day of the tour on 08 8965 0038
Book a private sunset tour for your tour group, school trip, honeymoon, anniversary, family, friends, or just because you love kangaroos. Private tours are $1,950 with bus transfers or $1,650 with your own transport. To book a private tour, please send your preferred date/s to firstname.lastname@example.org
Information about our tour:
* If booking on the day of the tour please call us on 08 8965 0038
* Wear closed shoes, a hat and bring water
* Most tours are guided by Brolga who owns the Sanctuary. Some tours are guided by our other wonderful tour guides
* There are no self-drives to the Sanctuary to ensure protection of the natural environment
* Kangaroos scare easily, so we ask that visitors please keep noise to a minimum e.g. no jumping, clapping, shouting, or going off the path. Children under 5 must be carried by adults
* Equipment that can’t be taken on the tour includes strollers, baby baskets, large photo and video equipment, food, anything noisy, etc because it scares the kangaroos away.
* We are fully booked 11-25 April 2020 and 8-23 August 2020 due to non-tour commitments. We don’t have any tours on during this time.
* We are closed 1 December 2019 and reopen 4 February 2020 due to non-tour commitments. We don’t have any tours on during this time.
* Cancellations must be made by email at least 7 days before the tour. Cancellations under 7 days won’t be refunded.
* Our tours are rarely cancelled, but heavy rains and storms for example may mean we need to cancel a tour
* Enjoy your tour!
Pick-up times – please be waiting out the front of your pick-up location at the start of the pick-up time. Our transfers bus has pick-up points at 10 locations around Alice Springs. Select your most convenient pick-up point when you make your booking.
|5.15 - 5.45pm||4.30 - 5.00pm||4.15 - 4.45pm||4.00 - 4.30pm||4.00 - 4.30pm|
|4.00- 4.30pm||4.15 - 4.45pm||4.30- 5pm||4.45 - 5.15pm||5 - 5.30pm|
Book Visit Online
#1 of 70 Things to do in Alice Springs!
On TripAdvisor, our Sunset Tour has been the No.1 Thing To Do in Alice Springs for over 5 years! Some of our lovely visitors have described the tour as a “humbling experience” and many have said it has been the highlight of their trip to Alice Springs and Australia.
Certificate of Excellence winners – 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2019! TripAdvisor gives a Certificate of Excellence to attractions that consistently earn great reviews from visitors. The Kangaroo Sanctuary is proud to be a consistent winner thanks to the great reviews and support from visitors who tell everyone about their experience on TripAdvisor. Read some of their reviews.
“The #1 Experience I had in Australia”
Our tour group was honored to have had the opportunity to meet Brolga and to see the work he and others have done to save kangaroos. We needed fly nets until the sun went down, but no one seemed to mind. As others have mentioned, Brolga is simply one of the most interesting people we have ever met
“A life enhancing experience”
Our 4th year of visiting this wonderful place and it was like coming home to be back at the beautiful Kangaroo Sanctuary. Strolling through the peace of the bush as the sun sank in the evening sky it was so great to be able to meet up with kangaroos that we’d first encountered when they were just little orphans cuddled in pillow cases now grown into healthy, happy adults thanks to the care given to them by Brolga and his fellow carers. And it’s a very special feeling to be out amongst these beautiful creatures as darkness begins to fall – we were also lucky enough to witness the incredible sight of a huge full moon slowly rising above the trees. A Sunset Tour here is an experience not to be missed if you go to Alice Springs. I’m already hopefully looking forward to returning next year to catch up with Brolga’s wonderful ‘mob’ and see how his current project, The Kangaroo Hospital, is progressing!
“ Highlight of our Australian stay”
We won’t forget that evening in the Kangaroo sanctuary with Brolga sharing his passion with us. Our girls loved holding in their arms the baby kangaroos while walking around the sanctuary. An unforgettable experience not to be missed!
“Healing experience – Awesome!”
This is not a regular, commercial tour. This is an invitation into the life of a man who is deeply passionate about his cause. The tour is kept to a small size and the approach of the kangaroos is close and personal. Getting the chance to carry a baby kangaroo in the arms is priceless. Listening to Brolga and learning more about these animals is a moving experience. So worth it!